January 13, 2007

I Believed A Man Could Fly. Christopher Reeve SOARED!




I'm adding my two cents today about the sad sad news concerning the death of Christopher Reeve. I've read dozens of tributes today and about the only thing I can add is a personal rememberance of mine......

Superman the Movie was a REALLY big deal when it came out in 1978. The first film to really make all of us comic book fans salivate at the prospect of a major super-hero coming to the big screen and DONE RIGHT. Multi-million dollar budget, big-name director, even a guy named Brando thrown in for insurance.

Comic fanzines at the time had a field day reporting rumors, plot threads... lots of praise for how the source material was being faithfully produced. I wasn't alone in sheer child-like glee heading to the theater to watch SUPERMAN THE MOVIE on opening night. "You Will Believe a Man Can Fly!"

They weren't kidding.

Chris Reeve made me a believer. The guy WAS Superman. RICH characterization, and BELIEVABILITY that just blew me away. My favorite scene:

SUPERMAN: I fight for truth, justice, and the American way.

LOIS LANE: (muffled laugh) You sound like half the politicians in this country...

SUPERMAN: Lois? I never lie.

And I'll tell you something, gang. At that very moment, Reeve made me a believer. That look in his eye, her subdued reaction...... its my personal favorite moment in the picture. Not only could this guy act, but he could convince me that a dude in blue tights and a red cape was here to protect us from evil. Movie magic.

Actor. Political Activist. Humanitarian. Leader. Husband. Father.

Superman.


From the Escape Archives... Originally Posted on 10-11-04

No comments: